Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Hi I'm Married, but refuse to grow up.


Last weekend I had the privilege to go to one of my sorority sister’s wedding. Ashley’s wedding was amazing; I have not seen a wedding like that in real life. I thought I was in Beverly Hills at a chic restaurant or club. When you’re married it seems like every wedding you go to makes you think of your own marriage and mistakes/victories you have made along the way.

Telling you the victories would be no fun right? So I will tell you some of the mistakes I have learned from in our short 2 years of marriage.

First Lesson: Everyone is different. Do not have unrealistic expectations.
My grandmother is the woman! Everything of hers was absolutely perfect including dinners, cleaning, and clothing. You know one of those ladies who wear stockings with everything. She taught me how to make the bed military style, with crisp corners and perfect pleats. So when I got married, I just assumed Matt and I would be on the same bed making page. Boy was a wrong!

Matt had the day off and I was a work, so like any wife I made him a list of chores to get done. List included Cleaning, Bills, Groceries, and BED! I came home and everything was done except the BED! So I called him furiously, “Matt! You know you could have warned me I was going to come home to an unmade bed.” To which Matt replies, “Hunny, I am so sorry I was so busy doing all the other things on the list. I will make it as soon as I get home.” Yikes, what a witch! What was thinking? Lesson learned!  Have realistic expectations.

Second Lesson: Although I enjoy the awkward moments, Matt does not!
If I had a dime for every time Matt told me TMI, I would be a billionaire. For some reason whatever I am thinking just spills out of my mouth. Matt is mortified. So I call my mother and mother-in-law to rally some votes if what I say is TMI or funny.

 For instance, Matt and I went to a Halloween party of my friend Ruthie’s and saw one of my old friends. They asked me where I got my costume. I said well “I got the leotard from Goodwill…..but then I decorated it.” Then it dawned on me and here comes the TMI. “I didn’t wash it so I am probably getting diseases as we speak.” Matt slaps his forehead! Opps…. Couldn’t help myself. So now I think twice about what comes out of my mouth but usually say it anyway.

Third Lesson: Marriage is out of control
I have a naturally controlling personality, which has been a vice of mine in relationships. I was able to keep it under wraps during our dating days but now that we are married it has intensified and is out in full furry! 

For instance, one of my new things is seeing how far I can push Matt by asking, “Will you lick my toe?” or “Will you sniff my armpit?” So not lady like, and I would have never landed Matt with such nonsense. But I find it humorous seeing his breaking point, which is definitely the toe licking.

Some things I am still working on, others I choose to keep around for good blog entries. But, by being a part of other people’s special day, I am constantly reminded that every day married to Matt is special. I finally met my match!

2 comments:

  1. LOL! I thought it was funny, and not TMI at all. I may or may not have thought the same thing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew, close one. Matt was absolutely mortified. I heard about it the whole way home. haha, it was so good catching up with you. Next time I see you I will try not to be so embarrassing :)

    ReplyDelete