On multiple occasions this year I have tortured my husband with full on breakdowns centered on how fast years go by and turning 24. One of my favorite friends Denise and I were talking about our birthdays that happen to be on the same day. I said, “I mean seriously… we are going to be 23 this year.” To which Denise smirked and said “Really Cassie? We are going to be 24!” In disbelief I quickly computed and realized indeed I am turning 24. I now remember how old I am by reciting Gangsters Paradise lyrics, “I’m twenty-three now, but will I live to see twenty-four? The way things is going I dunno!” (I choose to use proper grammar though)
Now to some of you this breakdown is ridiculous, I am still young and have plenty of time to do the things I want. However, I catch myself wasting valuable time and not remembering what I have done with my life. (My mother-in-law says I need a journal, so I will remember better.) So as a declaration to me and whoever has time to read this (before I let another year go by seemingly wasted) I will list 5 things to do before age 25 in no particular order.
- . Buy my first house: Although Matt and I have started on this already; I have been a sour sally constantly thinking that something will go wrong and the home will slip out of your fingers. Home ownership is scary, way scary, and I am bad at commitment. So this will be a huge check off the list!
- Find a hobby: Matt is always telling me I need to find a hobby. Something that genuinely makes me happy. I have always wanted to be the wife that has Bunco night, or can sew clothes, or make delicious dinner. But that isn't me, at least not yet. In 2013 I need to find a hobby, a real one, one that makes me happy.
- . Pop out a baby: Ok this may be TMI. Probably is, but it is true. I never thought I would get married at 21 or be wanting a family so young. But after watching a bunch of bad TV about teens having babies, or people getting pregnant and not knowing it, I thought it must be so simple to get pregnant. NOT TRUE! Getting pregnant is truly a miracle and isn't as easy as people make it seem. Now that Matt and I are finally settling down in life, it would be nice to have a cute addition. With everyone asking “so when are you going to start having kids? I tell you…it isn't easy. So I am throwing it out into the universe. I want a baby!
- Run a Half Marathon: So hey this may be knocking two birds with one stone. Maybe running could be a hobby? Doubt it! I haven’t been able to tackle more than 5K so 13 miles would be treacherous. Right now I can run a pretty decent 3 miles, so I have a long way to go. Anyone with training schedules hit me up!
- Go out of the country: Matt and I have been so busy getting to where we want to be professionally that we have not taken a lot of time to appreciate where we are at. I would love the chance to take a trip out of the country with my cute husband and explore together.
I must admit this list was originally going to state 10 things I wanted to do, but I got too overwhelmed with anxiety wondering when I am going to fit this all in. Sooo….. I decided 5 was a good place to start. Baby steps! I know 2013 won’t be a year where I look back and wonder what I did with my time. I pledge to take chances and make commitments, and relish how far Matt and I have come.